Sunday 25 August 2013

09. The tragedy of the hedgehogs

09. The tragedy of the hedgehogs
25th August 2013

Just over a week ago, still full of Africa, I landed on an unaccustomed green island, a bit befuddled and bemused. Hordes of my tribe jostled and jabbered. Then, like ducklings crossing a road, they self-organised into a wavy line to negotiate passport control. They seemed instinctively to know who had arrived first, and this unwritten law wielded an awesome power, woe-betiding any would-be self-advancement. It felt strangely foreign. At the baggage carousels, I tried to find my previous impatience, but it never appeared, presumably lost in transit. I grappled my 40kg of luggage from the belts, trying to remember why I had brought so many pairs of trousers and yet only two legs.  

Then, as is customary for the English, nothing to declare, and so through to England. Aaaaaaaah! England!! Thanks for waiting for me. A fresh breeze. Damp, leaf-green trees, and vivid, bright green grass. Why would I have missed grass? It hadn’t missed me. I am struck first with gratitude to be back, and then with curiosity as to why it should matter so. Wasn’t the weather better in Tanzania? Wasn’t the pace of life less frantic? Weren’t even strangers there kind and welcoming, with a shared chuckle at my mangled Swahili? Why would I prefer a cloudy sky with a hint of rain? Do Tanzanians arriving home have the same sense of grateful relief at the first hot whiff of Dar Es Salaam dust, or the first iron taste of cauldron-cooked ugali? What is home, that it beckons so powerfully? I had only been away two months, and you could get more than that, (if the magistrate were in a bad mood), for vexatious tort in fief. I am part of the first generation of a tiny proportion of humanity never to have suffered enforced and prolonged absence from home, and I don’t think that I quite appreciate my good fortune.

I climbed into the back of the car, revelling in the tarmac surface, the lack of roll-bars, and the absence of dog, cow, chicken and impala dents on the bodywork. From the radio, I caught the end of a programme: “… sadly, that’s the tragedy of the hedgehogs.” Apparently our spiny chums, seemingly incapable of internalising the essentials of road safety, are dwindling in numbers. This, it transpires, (unless you are an ant, or part of the pro-ant lobby), is bad news. I could not help dwelling on our separate understanding of the idea of tragedy. Funnily enough, as we cruised along the familiar A45, (Oh! the glorious A45!), I could not extinguish my relief to be home, even with thoughts of the tragedies I had seen. It needed a prickly comparison to bring home to me the privilege of my circumstances. Soon I would be eating a Taylor’s Welsh Dragon sausage. I would be drinking a glass of Malbec, in our comfortable home, in our comfortable neighbourhood, surrounded by my healthy family and friends, in our peaceful country. (Albeit made more peaceful by lack of hedgehog revelry.) What a blessing.

I arrived back in Earlsdon, the door was flung open, and I was hugged into the house. Five minutes later, I was pouring real, liquid milk into a cup of tea. (I knew it hadn’t just been an imagined memory.) Then, joy!, Freddie, my one-year old grandson, toddled in and eyed me intently, brow deeply furrowed, for a full four minutes. This was a moment I had feared: would he remember me? We had been so close before. Now, however, not only had I lost a lot of weight, but also I had adorned the physiognomy with a smart, closely-trimmed, attractive, designer beard. (“You haven’t bothered to shave” seems to me a much harsher way of expressing it, especially when shaving in Africa was a waste of two precious minutes of sleep before the 7.30 start.) When looked at from the right angle, my resemblance to George Clooney, or Sean Connery’s much younger brother was now uncanny. After four soul-searching minutes, Freddie’s brow unfurled, a big smile unfolded, and the arms lifted towards me for a long, long, where-have-you-been cuddle. Home!

Mis came back from work that evening and we met outside on the path. This year, we have been together for forty years, and in all that time, this was the longest we had been apart. Our eyes met, and maybe I’m reading too much into that deep and unspoken gaze, but it seemed to say, “At last! Someone to mend the bathroom tiles!” I jest of course, and, for the soppier readers of the blog, I have to admit to a slight moisture in the eyeballs, at seeing my lovely wife again. After just two months! How mad is that.

“So what was it like?” someone asked. How could I sum it up in a word? I decided on: “Big.” That seemed to do the trick, and as no-one asked for further amplification, willing messengers were then dispatched, one to the frying pan and another to the wine rack.

The next morning, sausaged and malbecked to the gunnels, I had time to reflect on what next. There is a long road ahead, but staying where we are is just not an option, even if it were wanted. The world is striding ahead apace. Whilst I was in Berega, electricity arrived. I was there for the first caesareans done without the background hum of the generator. Roads were being built. Concordats were being signed. There were even plans for water to be piped from the lakes to the dry, high centre. One of the most bizarre developments was even ahead of the UK: last month Berega began to pay all their staff salaries using mobile-phone money: credit that you can then text to any other mobile phone. In June 2013, staff took the three-hour bus ride each way, and the two-hour bank queue, to pick up their monthly salary in hard cash. In July 2013, they could buy a kilogram of rice in the mud-hut village store by mobile phone credit transfer.

Progress is happening. Change is coming, and we have to be moving. Once the anchor is up, and the sail is set, the wind might blow us where we need to be. Mothers and their babies must not be left behind.

I annexe the first draft of The Plan. Let’s just begin, and see where that leads. I am in for the long haul, all being well, and I commit to being a stimulus, a catalyst. At the Tanzanian end, we have utmost commitment from the hospital bosses, and determination in the direction of travel – as evidenced by the new charter of standards in the hospital. We have a number of volunteers lining up for future medical involvement with the hospital. Most of all, however, we have a daily tragedy unfolding, which, with a little effort and some limited resources, we can begin to tackle.

I need money. Not huge amounts, but about £20k/year for five years. With that, we can transform our chosen isolated village of Mnafu from being a distant and inaccessible place where women and children needlessly die, to one where they have a realistic chance of a healthy future. The accompanying draft plan gives you the flavour of what we will be doing.

Can you help financially? If I had forty people each giving £500, that would pay for the first year, and then it is up to me to stimulate the developments that might entice future investment. Or you might just have £50 to spare, or £5, and that would help. But let me tell you very clearly: Not a single penny will be spent on administration, on overheads, or on any form of greasing the wheels. I will be writing the blog fortnightly for as long as I am getting support, and I will be demanding hard evidence of progress. Progress might be as simple as liaison, talking, engagement with the community, and all the preludes that will lead to the twenty-first century. But we have a plan, and the worst that can happen is that it fails.

If you do not want to give money, don’t worry – I know that many people are already over-committed, and if you are struggling to get to the end of the month, it is not you I am targeting. Even if you are rich, but this is not your thing, that’s fine, and please still be my friend.

But if you have been looking for someone and somewhere to send that extra few quid that Aunty Edna left you that you did not really need, then I am that someone, and rural Tanzania is that somewhere. Email me on email.lozza@gmail.com, and I will give you details of how to make Gift Aid payments. Alternatively, just ask for the account details, and put in what you think is right.

I am not saying to ignore the hedgehogs. By all means encourage the repopulation of our hedgerows with these diminishing denizens of the darkness. But the much more urgent tragedy that is happening out there also needs our attention. We cannot make the whole world right, but why not try to make just one bit of it better. 

One day, an Mnafu mother will be smiling down on her new baby, wondering why those wazungu so far away cared so much.

Laurence Wood

At last back in the world of fast internet, I can give you some moving pictures! The road to Mnafu shows the beginning of the road from the hospital. Mnafu is about an hour further on.

Road to Mnafu:  http://youtu.be/cDGP2GJRWuA

Hospital House: http://youtu.be/n84o3Mztf9o

Berega Hospital: http://youtu.be/D9YBOYn10FA

Sion Bird: 

No comments:

Post a Comment