Friday 19 September 2014

30. In the Dog-house


For consumers of the annals of human endeavour, two memorable morsels ricocheted around the social media last weekend. The one you are less likely to have sampled is the sight of Queen Elsa pouring an ice-bucket over the head of a well-meaning but gullible ex-obstetrician:


The intention was to raise funds to stop mothers dying in childbirth; to give hope to communities in rural Tanzania; to help a part of the world where each village has ten children die every year:


It’s only a week on, and maybe these things trickle through slowly, (or maybe Threadneedle Street is scrutinising the destiny of such an exodus of bullion), but nothing much seems to be happening on the fundraising site:


(I suppose another possibility is that the Bank of England was waiting until Scotland Has Decided. It would be awful if they paid-the-bearer-on-demand-the-sum-of lots of Sterling, only to discover that the donor had been Scottish. A dreary process would then ensue, of trying to get the bullion back in return for the Scottish GrOats.)

The story more likely to have captured your attention was the burning down of the dog’s home in Manchester. The home is a sort of refuge for dogs, where they can find friendship; comfort; posts smelling of other dogs’ urine; and, if needed, counselling. It is a sign of a deeply sophisticated society that we care in this way for a species that has brought to ours so much in the way of comfort, unquestioning friendship, and chewed sticks. I have noticed in my short transit through Life on Earth, that a person who is kind to humans is rarely cruel to animals.




Looking after dogs, then, is a noble enough undertaking, and it would not have been surprising to have observed generous support after the home was tragically struck by such a devastating fire. What was more than surprising – even astonishing – indeed ‘Blairs-decide-to-retire-to-holiday-home-in-Merthyr-Tydfil’ level of unlikeliness – was that in just a single weekend, they raised £1.2 million for the re-building of the dogs’ home:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29204953

I know that my ice-bucket challenge did not tap into the same market, and I do not have the same appeal: Apart from the lower half of my face I am not furry. I do not have wistful eyes.



If someone throws a tennis ball, I am perfectly capable of almost completely ignoring it. I am not intrigued by the smell of other people’s trousers. If I find anything disgusting whilst walking through the park, I am neither tempted to eat it nor roll in it. I am allowed on the sofa.

I could go on, but I am conceding the point that I lack the canine X-factor. In a head-to-head fund-raiser between Lassie and I, to buy somewhere to rest our weary heads, the collie-dog would have the donors rounded up before I had even downloaded the Lottery’s “Fifteen Things You Should Know Before Applying For An Ageing Hippy Weary Cranium Residence-Enhancement Grant”.

But what would Lassie think about spending that amount on her home, at the cost of her owner’s life, and those of her children? If dogs really are a person’s best friend, would they truly want to move into million-pound kennels when, 5000 miles away, the young lads who would love to scamper with them are beset by malaria, malnutrition, infestations, infections, and tragedy; and who, too often, will never throw a stick again.



I do not exempt myself from this sobering reflection. What I have spent on our two dogs this last dozen years would have paid for many wells. For a school perhaps. For a land-rover ambulance. For many, many emergency C-sections, performed in poor light on mothers desperate to survive and see their child.


Where would we be, though, if suddenly we were equitable in the distribution of our largesse? Theme parks and cinemas would close down as pleasure-seekers found new comfort in sending their spare cash to the needy. The clothing industry would grind to a halt as we wore what we wore until it fell off our backs, giving the money released to the naked and the cold. Malbec producers would call an emergency summit in Mendoza, as I replaced my nightly nectar with enough dirty water to moisten my mouth.

The world is not fair, and never will be. For there to be wealth-sharing, there has to be wealth.

But, on the other hand, where would we be, in this tragically unequal world, if we closed our ears to the anguish of death and tragedy, albeit in distant lands? Where would we be if the cries of the suffering and the desperate never penetrated our cocoon? Where would Lassie be, if, knowing that all this was going on in the world, she accepted a millionaire’s kennel?

For me, dog-lover though I am, I know where I would be if I ignored humanity in favour of other species.

In the dog house.







No comments:

Post a Comment